Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Tricia Gardner; What Do I Want? By Kara Douglas


What Do I Want?
Favorite passage
I want to be a mystery, yet be known
I want to be together, yet alone
Is it too much to ask, To be famous yet unknown?
To be a wanderer, yet have a home?
My insecurity makes me sick,
Yet my confidence makes me thick
Can I be harmless, yet grip the stick,
Be completely smooth yet have a nick?
Can I live in a lie, yet be true
Can I be unique, yet so like you?
Have no control, yet know what to do?
Can I be ugly, yet beautiful too?
Answer me, I need your help,
Can you help me or someone else?
I need your help, can't you see,
Are you even listening to me?
by: Kara Douglas
  
Recited by Tricia Gardner
Why I chose this
I chose this poem because it explains a lot of thoughts I have not been able to express yet. I now understand I'm not the only one who doesn't exactly know, "What Do I Want." "I want to be a mystery, yet be known," When I read this line I was in awe. It's hard to explain but when I think of this, I'm thinking everyone has their secrets and I don't want to be special, but I want my words to be heard. "I want to be together, yet alone," I like being alone because I feel inner peace and no drama, but I have lost a piece of myself with the social part I barley have. "Is it too much to ask, to be famous yet unknown," I use to want to write poetry but I decided I could never make it, but when I did I wanted to speak to anyone who needed it. Even if a person didn't necessarily like me, I would still want them to hear encouraging words for themselves, so I would want to be famous, yet unknown. "To be a wanderer, yet have a home," I think this author has been stalking me. Not to long ago I was saying I wanted to be a traveler but I could only have one home. "My insecurity makes me sick, yet my confidence makes me thick," I don't like a lot of specific things about myself, although I need confidence to balance me out. This poem shows very mixed emotions. I see a person who is at broken stop light with both red and green shining. 
I Would Read This To
I would speak these lines to someone with anxiety, or maybe someone who is self conscious. This is for people who are still a little lost and need to create themselves. I don't believe in saying a poem can't be for someone because poems speak differently to everyone, but if I had to exclude someone it would be close minded people.
Image
I chose this photo because it relates to the poem. The author has an idea of what she wants, although there is the over thinking that is holding her back. As in this photo, the person has what they want right in their hands, however they seem to have something holding them back, whether it be over thinking, to just not having time or money for what they want. In addition, this is what the photo spoke to me, but you can pull at a million different words and ideas from this picture. For example, this person may be thinking about a place he use to go when he was younger, this place may even haunt this person. It is all in the eye of the beholder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment